Thursday, January 20, 2011

Chapters 5 - 6

Good morning! Oh my goodness it is COLD out there in Fargo! Holy Buckets! I am read for spring to be here NOW! It is freezing out there!

Well, because of that bitter cold, we have some good coffee ready for our discussion this morning. We were a small group of men, but we got to the heart of a few things written in these chapters that are very significant. Let's jump into some of what I read (and learned!) and what we discussed.

In chapter five, author Carl Medearis writes about common questions most Muslims ask or have about Christians and/or the Christian faith. There were five main questions addressed, from if the Bible has been changed, to looking at whether Jesus was crucified or not, to our thoughts about Muhammad being a prophet. In each of these questions, Medearis provided a short, succinct optional answer in how to approach these questions. These the men found very interesting and helpful. The men did agree that there are points that have to be understood in believing in Jesus - and I don't disagree at all. However, Medearis helped all of us in a little understanding as well. He writes,

"...we often forget that Jesus died at the end of his earthly life, not the beginning. We do present 'Christ crucified' but not necessarily on day one. Let the story be one with a beginning, a middle, and an end...A complete study of the life of Jesus will bring the student to understand his death and resurrection in the right time and the right way." (pg. 110)

I believe, as did the men, that these words are all vital to helping us understand Muslims, and even ourselves as disciples of Jesus Christ. It is a process, and it must be celebrated as a process.

In Chapter five, Medearis also tells a story about his interaction with a Muslim leader through prayer. This story provided great discussion for us this morning, as we looked at the power prayer has in our lives. Prayer can do immense things, and as Medearis shared, it has a great effect in Muslims' lives as well. They are not used to our Christian way of impromptu prayer, and this can be used in our benefit of sharing the Gospel. The men liked knowing they have this tool in their toolbox!

Chapter six was very informational to the men this morning. It provided backing behind the idea of jihad in the Muslim faith, and it clarified much of their misunderstanding. (I celebrate them sharing this information this morning because I have been patiently waiting for this!) Much of jihad is based on "the cousins in conflict" as Medearis writes.

In reading this chapter, I must say, I had a very hard time. Thinking about all the people that have been killed because of one person's rampage devastates me. I remember as I read this portion of the book, I had to stop. Then, something inside of me wanted a little more understanding, so Google helped out! But learning this information led me to tears. I had to stop again and pray, asking God to forgive us (America as a nation, Christianity as a religion, and myself, personally) for all the ways I have waged or contributed to war that has harmed other people for my benefit. I know Christianity is not the base for jihad, but Christianity has done things to harm so many. Even down to the things I buy that have been made in other countries where the workers are underage or overworked and underpaid is a form of oppression that I participate in. This chapter showed me how I'm not much different.

My own apathy has had its involvement in the ways I fail God. Paul commends us in 2 Thessalonians 3 to keep away from idleness, which leads to apathy, and he even goes so far as to say, "Never tire of doing what is right." (verse 13) We must turn from our apathetic ways. This people group are people too. They breathe, they eat, they bleed, they fart, they love too! We must not forget this as we work to share the message of Jesus Christ with them.

Our hope is in Christ alone. We must not forget that He is our hope, and only He can save. We have to throw off the blanket of security that we so easily hide under. We must be about the cause of Jesus Christ, which is bringing the message of hope to all the nations.

I hope you have a great day. Be challenged, but be blessed. Love you all.

Brandon

No comments:

Post a Comment