Thursday, September 1, 2011

Jeremiah 1 - 8

Good afternoon,

For all of you who know - I love to read! Hence, this website! But I've decided to change up what I'm sharing on this blog just for a little while (mainly because I'm in seminary and am reading many books at one time and it's very time consuming!). I've decided to share with you some Scripture that I've been reading and what I'm getting from these passages. I promise you this won't be every day - but I'll try to make it here once a week to share. (Also, because I can get through a lot of Scripture in a month, and that wouldn't be beneficial for anyone!)

So, here is what my newest pieces will be on - the book of Jeremiah from the Old Testament. I've read Jeremiah a few times (not many) and there is a lot I don't understand that the prophet wrote. That gives me a chance to learn from him, and hence, a reason to share of God's goodness. It's a hard book and I am not claiming to be an expert; but, I hope to challenge you to think as I interact with the text and share insights and thoughts from the passage.

Okay, let's get going!

I'll start with what I do know from Jeremiah. Jeremiah was called when he was a young man to be a prophet to Judah and he was a lifer! He prophesied to Judah about their downfall by the Babylonians and continued with them into captivity. His life was long and God called him to a very hard task. This was not an easy calling in any sense, but Jeremiah responded with obedience. He took the calling and went for it, even though it would be utterly painstaking.

Jeremiah had a unique gifting to call the people of Judah on their outlandish rebellion against God and also to feel what God was feeling for His estranged people. Jeremiah is known as "the weeping prophet" and for good reason. Just from the little bit I've read, there are two voices that come from the text: God's, which is powerful in judgment and forthcoming wrath, and Jeremiah's, who's is tormented by why the people reject God. But Jeremiah's voice is God's even there. How hurt God is by our sin. Just like Judah, even today, He mourns our rejection of His ways.

Jeremiah shares what God desires, in chapter 6, verse 16:

"Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls."

God yearns for His people, in context, the nation of Judah, to walk with Him and walk in obedience to Him.

God has been faithful to Judah, and He reminds them in chapter 7, verses 22-23:

"For when I brought your forefathers out of Egypt and spoke to them, I did not just give them commands about burnt offerings and sacrifices, but I gave them this command: Obey me, and I will be your God and you will be my people. Walk in all the ways I command you, that it may go well with you."

God is clearly deserving of praise from the people of Judah. He has proven faithful, and He just yearns for the people to see Him this way.

But Judah doesn't. Sometimes, we can be so ignorant of God's call. He is offering mercy to repent and confess our folly. But we block it out. We disregard what He wants to do, and hurt ourselves. "Are they not rather harming themselves to their own shame?" (Jer. 7:19b)


This is the situation that Jeremiah is called to. This is where he will be preaching and prophesying. This will not be a successful calling. This will be hard.

Sometimes, we think that God will never call us to failure. I know I'm guilty of it. The book of Jeremiah says otherwise.

Just an example of this from the Scripture, let's look at chapter 7, verse 27:

"When you tell them all this, they will not listen to you; when you call to them, they will not answer."

What a hard calling! But, from our perspective, we see a beautiful side of God that we don't otherwise get to understand. He is mourning our sin. When we do not turn to Him and repent, He is devastated, for His justice must triumph. What Jeremiah felt is what God feels. How He longs for His children! How greatly our God loves!

But sin must have it's punishment. There is separation and it needs a payment to bridge the gap. That's why Jesus came. In the context, Jesus is not part of the picture; but we're not a part of that audience. We get to read Jeremiah from a standpoint of immense hope for our situation! We are called from our sin just the same, but there is a greater redemption for us through the death of Jesus! "By His wounds, we are healed."

Jesus' death paid the penalty for our sins and now we can walk in the ancient paths of obedience to God! We can have "rest for our souls!"

Are you yearning for that rest? Turn now to Jesus. Ask Him to take your heart of stone and give you His heart of flesh. Ask Him to forgive you for your sins and be cleansed!

Lastly, when Jeremiah was given his calling, he was shown that it would lead to immense hardship for his life. His career would not be defined by his following, but by his obedience to God. And that was all to show him that his strength was not his own, but was God's. God was showing Jeremiah just as greatly that He is always faithful and is ever-present. "I am watching to see that my word is fulfilled...I am with you." (Jer. 1:12b; 19)

The same is true for us. It might not always be easy for us - and we might not be called to greatness in anything. That doesn't matter. The point is faithfulness in obeying the call God has given you. Are you?

Bart Millard, lead singer of the band MercyMe, is quoted to have said, "Don't stoop to the level of a king if you're doing what God has called you to do."

Love and God's blessings to you,

Brandon

Father, your word is good and powerful and always true. Thank you for your word. And thank you for the view we get to see of Scripture - especially, Jeremiah's story. His story matters. Help me as I share from my interactions, to always bring you glory through this. Lord, would you allow hearts to continually be drawn to you? You are good. I will praise you. I love you Lord and it's only for your glory that I write this. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment