Monday, March 15, 2010

Letters to God

I knew it!

This book is breaking my heart.

The story is about a young boy named Tyler who ends up getting a rare form of brain cancer called Medulloblastoma. Throughout the book we learn of Tyler's battle and his heart for God. What a story to read. It breaks my heart.

And yet...there is a joy and hope to this story. It is challenging in how it causes me to think of my reaction in the place of Tyler. Tyler has a love for God that I can't understand. And why? I want to know and I sit and continue to read, wondering why my love for God is not this deep. Certainly it is true of the faith of young children - how wonderful it truly is.

I'm learning about myself in this fiction novel. I'm learning about my trust in God and my faithfulness to Him.

Throughout the book, Tyler writes simple letters to God. I won't give any of it away - but Tyler's prayers are so simple and yet state the true nature of his relationship with Jesus. I am challenged to return to simple prayer and to love God fearlessly.

Now, the book has a few flaws - one, it is predictable and two, there are parts of the development that are inept. There could be so much more depth to the story if these pieces would have been explored!!! But I won't throw it out. However, I do want it to be longer!

Learning about ourselves, taking a look at where we stand with God, and growing that relationship is vital to what is in us. This book is showing me to look at that - and I strongly encourage so many of you to read this one and find out more. It is a very quick read, but I promise, it is satisfying.

God's blessings to you!

Brandon

No comments:

Post a Comment